Friday, October 29, 2010

i try making brown rice sushi



I've never made sushi before. I've eaten a lot of it. And I've heard many a myth of how tricky it can be to make your own. Until I discovered Peko Peko sushi in Doubleview, Western Australia, I didn't think brown rice sushi was possible. I was resigned to the fact that it was against the laws of sushi. Not so my friend. I have both seen and sampled brown rice sushi at Peko Peko. In a burst of inspiration I decided to try my own!
You can put whatever filling you want in sushi but here's what I did this time around. I also meant to add Japanese mayo but we didn't have any in the house.

3 roasted nori sheets
1 cup brown rice (preferably short-medium
grain)
1tbs seasoned rice vinegar
300g fresh sashimi grade salmon,
trimmed and cut into strips
1/2 continental cucumber, cut into batons
1 carrot, cut into batons and steamed (I just used the
microwave)
1/4 avocado, cut into strips
1 spring onion, diagonally
slicedSoy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi, to serve
*You will also need a sushi mat and a bowl of water.
Cook rice according to packet instructions. Allow to cool. Combine rice vinegar and rice. Place one sheet of roasted nori, shiny side down, onto the sushi mat. Wet hands in bowl of water. Spread a handful of rice over the nori sheet, forming a layer about 1-1.5cm thick, and leaving 2cm of nori at the end furthest from you free. The rice doesn't need to be too dense. You should still be able to see some of the nori through the rice.

Working at the end closest to you, layer a strips of salmon, horizontally, starting about 3cm from the edge. Add a couple batons each of cucumber, carrot and avocado. Lift up the sushi mat at the end closest to you and begin to tightly roll the sushi up*. Just before you reach the end, wet the free edge with water to seal it. Remove sushi mat. Repeat with remaining nori sheets. Use a wet knife to slice sushi roll into 2cm slices. Serve with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.

*I don't mean to insult you intelligence, but, obviously the mat doesn't get rolled up. It is used as a guide and helps to get the sushi nice and tight without piercing the nori sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment